The outbreak of COVID-19 has caused a break in X-wing gameplay for many people. For me, it feels like we will be moving into X-wing 3.0 when competitive play resumes.
When Fantasy Flight Games re-booted X-wing 2.0 they came up with two major developments:
- The allocation of point costs for ships, pilots and upgrade cards would all be moved to an online system. This allows Fantasy Flight Games to change the point values at regular intervals. Previously, costs were printed on the cards making their costs static and unchanging. This movement to online list building would bring balance to the game by making cards that are not competitive, competitive by lowering their point value, and by making over powerful cards more expensive so that certain lists do not dominate the game.
- The introduction of two gameplay formats. (1) Extended (normal play where all ships, pilots and upgrades are allowed in list building. (2) Hyperspace – a new format where Fantasy Flight limits the ships, pilots and upgrades available for gameplay. This would provide three benefits to the X-wing player
- It would introduce another means of evolving and refreshing the meta-game
- It would provide additional game modes that would receive full support by FFG in organized gameplay
- It would allow new players easier entry into competitive gameplay by only allowing ships released in 2.0 to be available for gameplay
So as we move into the new-normal of COVID-19 and X-wing 3.0, I have an the following issues with the Hyperspace format.
- Fantasy Flight Game’s original three reasons for developing the Hyperspace format are redundant…
- The refreshing of points can, by itself, evolve and refresh the meta-game
- Players, even new players, who are interested in competitive play, usually are part of a larger gaming community and have access to the ships from 1.0 and on…either through buying online or through borrowing from their local players as needed
- I like to play competitively and practice with lists that I would use in tournaments (I realize this is my choice). In making this choice, it seems like most of my X-wing ship collection are just collecting dust!!!!
I have spoken.